From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 16:51:02 -0600
Off the wall thought - Could the shell be effectively thin-sectioned and looked
at under a polarizing microscope?  If iron was substituted for calcium in
calcium carbonate wouldn't you get siderite (Fe2CO3 ???) or something between
siderite and aragonite. I would think this would have different optical
properties from pure aragonite.  Maybe it's not possible for an organism to do
that though, I don't know.
If the iron was just a speck in the shell between layers or stuck in holes this
would show up as a black blob or crystal under polarizing light.
I've never seen a thin-sectioned shell, so maybe things wouldn't be that clear
since there are other things in the shell like conchiolin.  Just an idea from
someone who really has no idea.
Nora Bryan
Calgary, Alberta
CANADA