From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 20:13:58 -0400
In a recent message I believe a member of Conch-L was questioning the
discussion of sports and evolution on Conch-L.  I would like present my
views on these two items.  Malacology and conchology are not games or
sports.  Therefore the discussion of sports on this group is out of place.
I hit the delete button often in the last few days.  Malacology and
conchology are scientific field within the realm of biology.  Evolution is
a central aspect of biology.  Thus I have no problems with discussion
evolution in this forum especially if it relates to the diversity of the
molluscan world and how it can explain the diversity that we see.
  For what it is worth, I am a practicing Christian who obviously does not
have a problem reconciling Evolution and my religious beliefs.
  The above statement is meant only to offer a point of view supporting
the recent discussion of evolution on this list and not to advocate for or
against anyone elses religious beliefs.  Hopefully, no one will take
offense.

  And for the purists that request a shell related question:"Does anyone
know of a book that deals with freshwater gastropods, worldwide such as
Abbott's book on the landsnails of the world?"  If it exists I have not
yet come across it.

Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, PA
Assistant Professor - Family Medicine