From:
Bobbi Cordy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 16:18:04 -0400
Subject: Paradox - Where are we headed?

     The Paradox Of Our Time.
     The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller
     buildings,  but shorter tempers; wider freeways, but narrower
     viewpoints. We spend  more, but have less; We buy more, but enjoy
     it less. We have bigger houses  and smaller families; more
     conveniences, but less time; We have more  degrees, but less
     sense; more knowledge, but less judgment; more experts,  but more
     problems; more medicine, but less wellness.  We drink too much,
     smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too
     fast,  get too angry too quickly, stay up too late, get up too
     tired, read too seldom, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.
     We have multiplied our  possessions, but reduced our values. We
     talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.   We've
     learned how to make a living, but not a life; we've added years
     to life, not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon
     and back, but  have trouble crossing the street to meet the new
     neighbor. We've conquered outer space, but not inner space. We've
     done larger things, but not better  things.  We've cleaned up the
     air, but polluted the soul. We've split the atom, but not our
     prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but
     accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait.  We
     build more computers to hold more information to produce more
     copies than ever, but have less communication. These are the
     times of fast foods and slow digestion; tall men, and short
     character; steep profits, and shallow  relationships. These are
     the times of world peace, but domestic warfare; more leisure, but
     less fun; more kinds of food, but less nutrition.  These are days
     of two incomes, but more divorce; of fancier houses, but broken
     homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers,
     throw-away morality, one-night stands, overweight bodies, and
     pills that do is much in the show window and nothing in the
     stockroom; a time when technology  can bring this letter to you,
     and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or
     to just hit delete.

     George Carlin

--
Jim and Bobbi Cordy