STUDYAWAYNEWS Archives

Students & Study Abroad

STUDYAWAYNEWS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Lindsey Parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Students & Study Abroad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 17:07:21 -0400
Dear Students:

Welcome back to school. I'd like to take this opportunity to let you know
about some new materials that we have in our study abroad library.

Over the past several months, we have added several books useful for those
looking for work overseas (volunteer, paid, and internships):
Work Abroad - 1999
How to Get a Job in Europe - 1999
Directory of International Internships, 4th Addition - 1998

We have also bought many new travel guides:
Let's Go France 1999
Let's Go Britain and Ireland 1999
Let's Go Italy (including Tunisia) 1999
Let's Go Australia 1999
Let's Go Austria and Switzerland (including Prague, Budapest, and Munich) 1999
Lonely Planet Guide to Mexico 1998
Lonely Planet Guide to Central America on a Shoestring 1997
Europe by Eurail 1999

It's always a good idea to read up on the city in which you might like to
study.

We have also added to the volunteering section of our library. There are
many up-to-date brochures for volunteering programs all over the world.

The new lists of UGA study abroad and student exchange programs have also
been printed and the catalog of study abroad programs in the University
System of Georgia is at the printers and will be available on September 10.
All of those program listings can be found on our web site as well at
<http://www.uga.edu/oie>.

***************************************

Options Abroad Sessions

Options Abroad Sessions will be starting again this Monday and will
continue three times a week until the end of the semester. These 50 minute
sessions are designed for students interested in studying abroad. The
sessions orient you to the resources in our library, tell you about credit
transfer and going on study abroad programs outside of UGA, give you
information on passports, visas, and foreign travel, and teach you about
financial and scholarships for study abroad. The sessions will be held all
semester at the following times:

Monday 3:35-4:25
Wednesday 10:10-11:00
Thursday 12:30-1:20

If you are just starting your search for a study abroad program, please
sign up for a session by calling 542-7903. After attending a session,
students are welcome to meet with a study abroad advisor. To set up an
appointment, call the same number.

If you are further along in the process and have already picked out a
program (that isn't through UGA), we recommend that you meet with a study
abroad advisor. There are forms that UGA students must fill out before
attending a program through another university. Please call 542-7903 to set
up an appointment.

***************************************

UGA Study, Work & Travel Abroad Fair

Set your calendars for the 1999 UGA Study, Work & Travel Abroad Fair. The
1999 fair will take place Tuesday, September 21, 1999 from 10:00 a.m. to
3:00 p.m. in the Georgia Hall of the Tate Student Center. Sixty
representatives from study abroad programs and universities worldwide are
expected to attend. Last year more than 1000 students came by to check out
all the international options open to them. See our web page
<http://www.uga.edu/oie> for more information.

***************************************

Jobs in International Education

Please e-mail me back if you would like the full announcement for any of
these positions in international education:

Brethren Colleges Abroad
North Manchester, IN
Full-time Program Assistant beginning on or before September 30, 1999
Application deadline: September 3, 1999

Center for Global Education (study abroad office) at George Mason University
Fairfax, VA
Part-time (30 hours/week) Office Services Assistant (front-desk receptionist)

Study Abroad Center, Iowa State University
Ames, IA
Full-time Program Assistant II
Starting ASAP

American Councils for  International Education:  ACTR/ACCELS, Office of NIS
Initiatives
Washington, DC
Full-time Program Assistant
Starting early- to mid-September, 1999

American Councils for  International Education:  ACTR/ACCELS
Washington, DC
Internships in Advancement, Conferences, Participant data/program
administration, Government relations, Human Resources
Starting dates and hours vary; anticipated: Fall 1999; Spring 2000.

***************************************

The North American Student Forum
October 25th-27th in the coastal city of Veracruz, Mexico

The North American Student Forum is an opportunity for student
leaders--graduate and undergraduate--to begin student-led cooperation
across national boundaries between Canada, the U.S. and Mexico. There are
scholarships available to participate. For the complete announcement,
please return this e-mail and request North American Student Forum
announcement.

***************************

Peace Corps Visit

Timothy Hayes, a recruiter for the Peace Corps will again be at UGA on Sep.
15 at Career Connections. It will be held from 10-3 at the Classic Center.
If you are interested in joining the Peace Corps after you graduate, you
must apply in September or October. If you are a junior now and are
interested in Peace Corps for the future, now is a good time to speak to a
recruiter about how to make yourself a good applicant for the coming year.

Office of International Education
University of Georgia
201 Barrow Hall
Athens, GA  30602-2407