DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2006 22:41:39 -0600
8bit
From:
Stuart Rymph <[log in to unmask]>
Kelsey,

There should be no problem simulating legumes - the N-fixation routine
will work with forages as well as grains.  The main issue is that nobody
has developed alfalfa or temperate grass species files for DSSAT.  If
you want to run a mix of species (ex. timothy planted with alfalfa), you
will need to develop a species file that characterizes the mix rather
than individual species as DSSAT can simulate only a single species at a
time.  We cannot simulate competition between crops in DSSAT at this
time.  Maybe someone is working on these issues?

Are you looking to run single-season simulations or multiple,
consecutive years?  There are issues with perennial crops in the
distribution version of DSSAT.  These issues relate to winter dormancy
and freeze damage.  We have been working on a forage version of DSSAT at
the University of Florida but I'm not sure where we stand on
development.  We added daylength-sensitive functions to alter
partitioning and mobilization patterns and also modified the
freeze-damage routine (among other things) to allow a partial kill and
persistence after a freeze.  Ken Boote has hired Gopal Kakani to
continue development of that version but he will be working primarily on
developing a bermudagrass species file.

Stu

Stuart Rymph
Land O'Lakes Purina Feed LLC
with obligations to University of Florida Agronomy Dept.
6063 Beckman Rd.
Mazomanie, WI 53560