From:
Betty and Bob Lipe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 1997 16:44:00 -0800
STANLEY FRANCIS wrote:

> Although, I have seen references to the 'fighting tendancies' of Strombus=
>
> pugilis, I have also read (please don't ask me where) that the name
> originated because the shape of the shell resembled the mailed clenched =
>
> fist of a Roman gladiator.  Any comments Concheller's.  I would be
> interested to know the true origin.  Christmas Greetings to all  STANLEY
> FRANCIS

Dear Stanley and all,

If you have every collected Fighting conchs (Strombus pugilis) you will
soon realize one reason they are called that.  They are constantly
fighting to escape from your grip, and most of the time they succeed.
They kick out with their foot with the sharp operculum on the end, and
if you have two or three in your hand, you will be picking them up
several times.  That is how they move also.  The strombus don't crawl
like other snail.  They leap forward or any other way they want by
sticking their operculum in the sand or mud and leap along.  In very
soft silt you can see their trails because their operculum goes down
fairly deep in the silt.  We have Strombus alatus here on the West coast
of Florida.  Some say the Name should be Strombus pugilis alatus.
Alatus is also found on the SE coast and interbreed with the alatus.

Bob Lipe