From:
Kathleen Mccabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 13:57:16 -0500
Thank you to all of you who have me such good information about putting together
our trip to Fiji.   I think I probably have a pretty good handle on collecting
cones safely.  I hope we find some dead cones for 2 reasons:  won't have to
worry about dying when picking them up and also in 13 years of shelling, we've
never taken a live shell and so we're going through internal struggles about
even the possibility of doing that.   However, in the case that we do, many of
you have mentioned snorkel shelling at night and I need your advice on how to do
that since I've never done that before either!  Do you use underwater
flashlights or diving headlamps?  What other equipment do you need?  Do you go
at low tide so you can wade?  Or do you just snorkel as usual?  Thank you in
advance for any advice you have.