From:
Cshel91848 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 20:14:22 EDT
Hi Conchlers!
   I'm new to CONCH-L.  I've been reading with interest your views on learning
styles and how our brains work.  This is something I work with day in and out
because I teach third graders.  I also have a shell club (in fact 2).  I've
combined my love for shells with teaching with great success.  The kids learn
the common names very easily, but I wanted them to understand the Latin names
and at least hear them used once in a while.  I've tried to make a connection
with the Latin and the common names where possible.  We listened to Tucker
Abbott's tape that goes with the Collectible Florida Shells book which we use
often for identification purposes.  Using this approach, the kids are slowly
becoming more comfortable hearing the Latin names that go with their shell
treasures.

Dr. Rosenberg - We're interested in a possible field trip to the museum.  Our
school is about 45 minutes from Philadelphia (slightly longer by school bus).
Are there items of interest to our club members to make this a possiblility?

Any info would be great!
 Christine