From:
Keith Zeilinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 10:18:43 -1000
Muriatic acid is the old name for hydrochloric acid.  It needs to be very
dilute--depends on the concentration you start with--try only 1 or 2
teaspoonfuls per pint or quart of water and it needs to be boiling so you
have to use a pyrex or "visions" glass cooking pot.  Whatever you dip the
shells into the pot with has to resist acid--try a large slotted plastic
spoon.  Please wear rubber gloves and a face shield--very dangerous--and
excellent ventilation.  The outside of the shell is immediately etched off
so it will only work on thick shells--any holes in the shell will become
larger.  I have tried it on a few junk, thick shells to give to kids, never
on a specimen shell. Suggest you have a sodium bicarb (baking soda) solution
already prepared to dip the shells into after boiling and to pour on any
acid spills.  This is very dangerous, very corrosive.  Keith-----Original
Message-----