From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 18:31:30 -0400
Despite Paul's remarks that would lead one to think otherwise, the
Pectinidae (the fan shaped shells) are the Queen's of the group!  After
all, wasn't the godess Venus depicted as arising from one of them and not
from a Mercenaria? :-)  Needless to say, the Pectinidae rank first for me.
Second is a smaller group, the Donacidae.  I find members of the Donax
quite interesting.  Their shells, pointed posteriorly and blunt or
truncated anteriorly, have beautiful colors and fine ornamentation that is
interesting when viewed under slight magnification.  They are also fun to
watch when the surf washes in and out.  Seeing them thrown up on the sand
and then burrowing down is quite entertaining IMHO.

Well, now you know Paul interests and mine...any other takers.

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, PA
Assistant Professor - Family Medicine