From:
"Maassen, W.J.M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 12:15:43 +0200
I'm sorry, but tweediei is a conspecific with tortuosa (Beck, 1837) as is published by van Benthem Jutting in 1960: Some notes on land- and freshwater Mollusca of Malaya.-Basteria 24: 10-20
tweediei is published in 1948 in the Proc. malac.Soc. London, 27: 225, pl. 11, fig. 6: type locality is Malaysia, Perlis, Kaki Buket
tortuosa is described by Chemnitz, 1795  (Syst. Conch, Cab. vol. 11: 158, pl. 195, fig. 1882 & 1883) as Turbo tortuosus without type locality. As the names of Chemnitz are become invalid, the name tortuosus became valid by a publication by Beck in 1837 (Index Molluscorum preasentis aevi musei principis Augustissimi Christiani Frederici. Sowerby (1864, Thesauris 3, pl. 264, fig 1) said tortuosus came from the Nicobar Islands. I saw large lots from Thailand and could collect in Perlis (Malaysia) a few specimens only.
In 2001 I published a "Preliminary checklist of the non-marine Molluscs of West Malaysia" , 155 pps. Copies are available from : Hemmen, Grillparzerstrasse 22, D65187 Wiesbaden, Germany

yours

Wim Maassen