From:
Reuben Clements <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 10:11:05 +0800
Hello to all Conch-L'ers out there!:D

My name is Reuben Clements from Singapore. I'm 19 and this is my first time
writing to this list although i've been subscribed for a month now. Didn't
introduce myself right off cos i'm currently serving my national service and
well i'm only home about once a week and well there's barely sufficient time
to recuperate much less go through all the e-mail. National service btw is a
compulusory period of 2.5 yrs during which 18-yr olds serve the army b4
going on with their lives...really quite demoralizing cos the girls will be
getting the their degrees faster than u!:D Anyway I've been collecting with
my father since i was 14 and we collect almost anything under the sun but we
particularly like cones, cowries and volutes. I've been enjoying reading the
e-mails from this list not only cos they're VERY informative but they're fun
to read esp when the content is humoured and do not always concern the
serious stuff. I'm still extremely amatuerish in molluscan knowledge so
can't contribute much i guess but i'm learning that i can say!:D

Finally i've got a problem with my shells affected by Byne's disease. Can
anyone tell me how to get rid of it? I tried to soak them in denatured
alcohol but there's no long term protection i guess given the high humidity
factor of my country. The more serious victims are usually the shells with
thin bodies like my Conus ione, C.capitanellus and a juvenile Cypraea
gutatta. I'd appreciate any suggestions!:D Anyway i'm signing off now...be
back in 1 week's time..take care everybody!

"Will you walk a little faster?" said the whiting to a snail,
"There's a porpoise close behind us and he's treading on my tail."
- Lewis Caroll (Alice in Wonderland)