From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 2003 11:27:49 +1200
Hi Allen

I have a Dutton first edition (without the asterisked corrections of
later editions) with no copyright date (that's peculiar). Maroon DJ
with brownish-red woven cover. $50.00 printed in front flyleaf of DJ.
No autograph or bookplate (though I added my own). Book bought new in
NZ back in earliest 80s for $45NZ (then about $20US). Had it rebound
in 1999, as the binding was sagging a bit... not bad, considering the
use it's had!!

Recently bought roughish Dutton copy from Dick Petit (had to make a
dustjacket by laser-copying my original copy's DJ for $25US). Once
owned by E E Hunter, 1996; also has" FL. MUS.NAT.HIST. Malagology
Div." stamp. Needs rebinding badly...let me rephrase that... it badly
needs rebinding. Same cover cloth. Same lack of copyright© date.
Official Compendium bookplate signed by both Abbott & Dance, copy N°
1049. The new DJ has white "AG WORKING COPY" scanned into it, as I
will be keeping this one at work.

In 1991 Abbot brought a green American Malacologists copy down to a
COA meeting for me, and Vivienne Smith sent it to me. On the first
page is written "Best wishes to Andrew from the senior author, R
Tucker Abbott 1991". It's a 4th edition, 1990. Inside DJ is $49.95
price. Cover cloth is the same type as my 2 1st eds, but color is
olive-green, as is the DJ. This is my archival copy.

The only other copy I have seen in NZ was in a used-bookshop in
Christchurch. It was a brown one, but I don't know whether 1982 or
1983 edition. Paleontologist (actually a PhD student at my university
at the time, as well as my friend) Jeff Stilwell bought it for $50NZ.