From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 2003 11:27:49 +1200
>Dear experts;-
>    A friend gave me a shell---no data---maybe from Spain. It is
>clearly a land shell. Roundish like an apple snail, it measures 62mm
>from the proticonch and also axially. the "mouth" measures 42 x 30mm
>and is comma or kidney-pool shaped. The color starts at the
>protoconch as a dark pink. It becomes greenish and is a dark strong
>khaki or olive green on the final whorl. There is a slight flaring
>on the lip. The color is crossed by small darker and lighter lines
>in both directions. There are four whorls.
>    Any Ideas? Will be happy with Genus.
>     Art
>
>PLEASE NOTE: My new, long-term, and correct email address is:
>[log in to unmask] Please update your records!

Hi Art

Got a scanner? Prop it up in apertural view on the platen and do a
scan of the beast. I have SOME knowledge of Euro landsnails (have
zero literature on landclams as yet)... others might like to try to
ID it too.

If you have a digital camera you could snap it this way.

Don't make the image file over 200k though...

In actuality it sounds like a SE Asian camaenid or bradybaenid. Do
you have "Compendium of Landshells"? DON'T try to bleach it... the
color will be periostracum... and you'll end up with a white specimen.
--
Regards
Andrew