From:
Richard J Rego <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 13:41:52 -0500
Hello All,

        Like I said, this post was sure to result in some protest.  Of
course all animals should be treated humanely, even the introduced ones.
But until people really realize the negative impact that most introduced
species have, they will continue to survive, reproduce and cause damage
in their "new" home.
        Animal rights types are just as one-sided as my original article
(intended).  No animal rights group in a million years is going to spend
their billions of dollars on eradicating Japanese Shore Crabs from the US
coastline in order to save native species.  BUT, they will spend it to
prevent the trapping and euthanizing of feral house cats...why?  easy,
Japanese Shore Crabs aren't cute and fuzzy.
        Remember, WE (human beings) are the DIRECT cause of these
introductions, and it is OUR job to fix it.  It's not going to get any
better on its own.  Protect the cats...lose the birds.
        By the way, I own a house cat, with emphasis on the word house!
As a RESPONSIBLE pet owner, my cat is strictly an indoor cat who is
spayed.  I also control my dogs with a fence around my yard.

        NOW, in order to keep this list mollusk related, please e-mail me
privately.  Thanks.

Rick.