From:
"Paolo G. Albano" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 16:43:49 +0200
At 20.58 07/06/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>either. I have refused to use any type of chemical fertilizers to
>promote the growth of a "front lawn" under the canopy of old growth
>oaks and magnolia on my property. In the seven years since we moved
>in, the property is quickly reverting to its natural state and that's
>the way I intend to keep it. Not surprisingly, there is a shockingly
>high rate of cancer among pets who live on property that is regularly
>"manicured" (fertilized and sprayed for control of "weeds and natural
>grasses") by companies like TruGreen Chemlawn. Geez, just the name
>should tell you something is really wrong with that approach!!

We choose what to buy or not, and companies depend on our choices.
Shifting our choices towards goods which prove more environmental
sustainability we help the entire market to produce and sell best products
(both in quality and enviromental sustainability).  Avoiding goods which do
not show enough enviornmental care or which prove not to be indispensable,
we again help the market to be more environmentally oriented.

Even if country regulations shall help in this, every consumer has the most
efficient way for caring of the environment: choosing what they buy and do.

This can be appliable also to shell collecting and storing, using recycled
or reused paper for files and labels, paper for packaging instead of other
non-biodegradable materials, refraining from live shelling, buying shells
only from dealers which can guarantee some environmental care in the
specimens collecting (I think there are none at present time), and so many
other things which can't be summerized in a single email.

The problem is that there is not enough information for making people
understand what has really less impacts and making the right
choices.  There is not enough information , even for people who work in the
field like myself.

Best regards
Paolo

Paolo G. ALBANO