Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:08:46 -0500
On your conchs; they are protected in Florida so that means to a customs agent, they are protected everywhere.  We receive many worn (from obvious shell piles whre they have been clean for food) conchs that are confiscated and then donated to us.  I wish they would harvest thousands from the Chinchorro Banks where I have never seen a stunted population, 16 cm encrusted and thick lips.

The abalone in CA. can not be harvested south of Monterrey;  north, only 3 red (yours) a day, but not exported or sold.  Green, pink and even black are protected and white, Haliotis sorenseni, is endangered (I saw hundreds harvested from deep water from the Bottom Scratcher in the 70's)

Thousands (10's of) of conchs (Queen, pink, Hatian, Bahamian. Floridian, etc.-- Strombus gigas) and red abalone(Haaliotis rufescens) are on the market, available and cheap; legal harvest is becoming more difficult.