From:
Bert Bartleson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 22:07:55 -0700
Sophie, since nobody seems to have answered you I will share my thoughts
which may spur others who are more expert than I to answer.
Many snails will be very likely to move up or down the rocks during the year
(winter may be different than summer) because of wave action, food
availability, predators, heat stress and many other factors.  In the tropics
the snails may not move as much as in more temperate areas.
Sampling is pretty simple using standard sized squares or rings as long as
you record your methods.  I'm a microbiologist so we usually use a 10 X 10
CM square.  I watched last year as a clam survey was done on the Pacific
Coast and one meter rings were used.  The important issue is to collect
enough data so that you have 100 to 200 observations for the species you are
looking at so that you are at the 90% or better confidence interval
statistically.  Observing the other species of common algae and animals
(barnacles for example) that also inhabit the rocks and their vertical
location makes your observations more useful.  Some questions: Are the
snails distributed differently on the front versus the back of rocks? Do
they like it better on flat surfaces or in cracks?  Are there particular
species that eat them (this may limit lower levels of distribution)?  Do the
snails like areas where fresh water seeps over the rocks?  Do they like
direct sunny areas or shady spots?
I hope this helps. Bert Bartleson, Olympia, WA, USA