From:
"Paolo G. Albano" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2005 03:20:55 -0800
At 19.38 27/12/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Most of the names attributed to Linnaeus date from
the inception >of the binominal system of nomenclature
which began with the >10th edition of his Systema
Naturae in 1758. That work was >published under his
name in Latinized form, Carolus Linnaeus.  >Between
1758 and 1767, the date of the 12th edition of the
>Systema in which additional new species of mollusks
were >described, Linnaeus was ennobled by the Swedish
king as Carl von >Linné.  Species described by
Linnaeus, regardless of which >Edition they date from,
are often attributed to "Linné."  A few >mollusks date
from other of Linnaeus' publication.

>Most modern authors publishing in scientific journals
cite his >name as Linnaeus for all of his species.

I have recently received a comment from a referee on a
paper of mine on this topic.
I had cited the author of many linnean taxa as by
Linné, 1758.
He wrote to me:
"Please note that, throughout the text, it should be
spelled Linnaeus, 1758 not Linné, 1758 (on the other
hand, a later edition should be referred as Linné,
1767)."
I still have not understood the rule. Which is the
most correct way of citing Carl?
Thanks
Paolo

Paolo G. ALBANO