From:
Cristian Ruiz Altaba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2006 09:37:12 +0100
Again on Ancylus fluviatilis:
1) the shape, texture, shine and sculpture shown are indeed like those of
this freshwater limpet;
2) I have never met any species looking like this in truly marine, shallow
habitats in the western Mediterranean;
3) definite identification depends on viewing the apex: a crater-like bowl
ornamented with many equal radial riblets;
4) surely this species has been repeatedly cited from Sardinia and other
Mediterranean islands;
5) assuming there is no label error, the shell looks quite recent; thus,
either it came from a nearby stream, or it was living on rocks where an
underwater freshwater spring spills into the sea (not a strange thing in
the area);
6) as already mentioned, fluviatilis is a species complex, yet at this
point in time it would be unwise to bet for a name applicable to this
Sardinian shell.
Eager to know what it eventually is,

Dr. Cristian R. Altaba
Direcció General de Caça, Protecció d'Espècies i Educació Ambiental
Conselleria de Medi Ambient
Carrer de Manuel Guasp, 10
07006 Palma de Mallorca
Illes Balears (Espanya)