From:
Richard Petit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 19:37:06 -0400
Stephanie:

While it is rather standard in the older literature for him to be referred
to as "de la Torre" that does not negate the current worldwide editorial
arrogance regarding personal names.  It seems that editors  have their own
ideas and nothing else matters.  Thus we no longer look in References Cited
for d'Orbigny, but for Orbigny, d'.   I will not start in on the list of
changes as it is virtually endless.  I simply want to know how a Cuban would
treat the name of Carlos de la Torre today.  I do know that those who knew
Dr. de la Torre  never spoke of him as "Torre" but always as "de la Torre."
By the same token I know of no one who in conversation would refer to
d'Orbigny as "Orbigny" instead of "d'Orbigny."

Barry, I am aware of his mother's name [Huerta] but I did not want to
confuse this anymore as her family name would go on the end if used at all.
I am concerned about the beginning for alphabetizing.

dick p.