From:
Bob Dayle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 09:57:56 +1000
To amplify slightly on Eduard's comments, I'd like to say that the anatomical
differences invoked to justify specific divisions in the Hawaiian Cyp. teres
would not pass muster if analogous traits were used to 'split' off new
"species" of humans: blue eyes, green eyes, red hair, freckles, skin color,...
ad nauseam.

Since our collective knowledge of human genetics is so well studied, such traits
are considered inconsequential. However, things like papillae type, mantle color
or tentacle shape seem to loom large when observed in two, three,... even five
cowries! When we ignore what we know about genetics as it functions in humans
and declare non-traits as indicating "new" species, we're throwing the baby out
with the bath water!

A recent search of the WWW turned up yet another downside to a seperate path to
defining cowry species: mitchrondrial DNA (mtDNA) is not solely inhereted from
the female ovum. It is overwhelmingly inhereted from the mother, but not
exclusively. A man in Scandanavia has all but 10% of his mitchondria identical
to his father's. Only his blood and a few other tissues contain maternal
mitochrondria. Humankind has been traced, through mtDNA, to 'Seven Daughters of
Eve' and from there to a "mitochrondrial Eve," but that isn't the whole story of
humankind by a long shot. We know better.

And one other long-awaited result has come to light,... from Hawaii, no less.
The "crossbreed" half-dolphin and half-pilot whale 'mule' turned out to be
fertile. Now there is a "wholphin" swimming about, 1/4 pilot whale, 3/4
dolphin. It seems that Nature can't read taxonomy books. The ethos of pilot
whale pods and dolphin pods keep their gene pools seperate,... but given the
chance, life finds a way. It is only reasonable to expect that similar things
happen amongst the cowries.

Aloha,

Bob Dayle
http://cowrys.org