From:
John Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 06:33:55 -0500
To interested folks,

Just a quick correction.  The word is "syntype" and to have one you must have two or more.  A lectotype is by definition a former syntype and the other syntypes become paralectotypes.  There are many sorts of "types" but the primary ones (holotype, paratype, syntype, lectotype, and paralectotype) are the only ones that carry nomenclatural importance.  The others such as topotypes (a specimen collected at the original type locality and horizion if a fossil) are important from a systematic view.  There is, by the way, a huge difference between nomenclature, systematics, and taxonomy.  For those who are captivated by it, remember DNA is just another character.  It is the only one where authors regularly get away with a sample size of one.

Yours,

John K. Tucker