From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2007 11:26:33 +1200
>I have heard that a major contributing factor to the decimation of
>Pacific reefs is the population explosion of the crown of thorns
>seastars is the over-harvesting of Chariona species (a major
>predator of the COT stars), primarily to satisfy the home décor
>market.  Anyone have info on this??

It's wishful thinking. Charonia tritonis will eat Acanthaster planci,
but not by preference. It is nothing to do with the molluscan world
that this starfish has been increasing in numbers. I believe that
this species does this periodically ie it has happened before, but
can't remember any details.

>Relating to the environmental problems threatening the reefs off
>Florida, in the past day or two, the Bush administration just
>removed the Everglades from a list of endangered areas, presumably
>to ease pressure on the big money interests who have been
>fighting restrictions on farming and development designed to restore
>the glades and thereby reduce the outflow of silt and nutrient-rich
>water southward into the Gulf.  This type of retrograde short
>sightedness illustrates how those of us who wish to care for the
>environment need to be ever vigilant.   Score 1 for Big Sugar and
>Condo Developers, 0 for Mother Nature.

Why hasn't that criminal been impeached??
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin