From:
Leslie Allen Crnkovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:46:53 -0500
Thank you Harry and Fabio,

AFS SP 16/26 - is my short for:
American Fisheries Society, Special Publication 16 (= 1st ed) / 26 (= 2nd
ed) (your Turgeon, Quinn et al.)

Me thinketh my #2 etymology of the AFS name should stand ...

The Texas State Shell came around before AFS SP 16/26.  It was legislated as
the official common name, and too bad Turgeon et. al. did not catch that,
especially considering the big point in creating the AFS SP 16/26 is to give
law makers a common point of reference.  Given that, the AFS name for it
should have been the Texas Lightning Whelk or Pulley's Lightning Whelk.

The process for a Texas State Shell started in 1965 or 66 by the San Antonio
Shell Club, and finally came in to Act with a big push through the
Brazosport Museum of Natural Science (Sea Shell Searchers of Brazoria
County) / Mildred Tate, Curator of Malacology, in April 1987. ... 20 hard
years.

Here is a Houston Museum of Natural Science article on The State Shell &
Wise et. al. 2004.
www.hmns.org/files/marketing/LoneStarShell.pdf

Leslie