From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2007 10:47:19 -0400
Landsnails are most diverse in "mature" ecosystems, where species have
established themselves over thousands of years in a setting that is in a
state of relative equillibrium. In disturbed systems or ones being
re-established (restoration projects or systems which have been left to
regenerate by themselves), most of the indiginous species will be
absent, and one will typically find mainly "weedy" species which move
into disturbed settings agressively - "colonizers". In most localities
on the planet now, a high percentage of these adventurous species will
be introduced from elsewhere - for example, most of the common weeds in
North America (such as dandylions and "Queen Ann's Lace" (wild carrots))
are European in origin. It should be noted that it typically takes
hundreds of years for most natural systems to regain their previous
levels of biodiversity - depending upon such factors as the complexity
of the system and the availablity of replacement stock for the species
most suited to them. SO, in the Chicago area or anywhere else for that
matter, the trick to good land-snailing is to seek out the most mature
ecosystems and check out all the likely habitats for the critters one is
seeking!! For shell collectors, this would include leaf litter, under
old logs and rocks, areas where there is a lot of limestone or other
good sources of calcium carbonate, on grass, bushes and other vegetation
in the early morning or after a rain..... // I have no knowledge of
where to find mature natural systems in the Chicago region: best to
check with the local museum of natural history!!

 From a sunny, reasoably warm day in the Timberlea corner of New Scotland,
Ross Mayhew.
( http://www.schnr-specimen-shells.com/ - Seashells and Landsnails to
write home about!! )