From:
Guido Poppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2007 15:37:58 +0800
Hello Peter,

Yes, this is a fascinating shell. It's probably rare because nobody
collected on the right place for two decades. I found only a few
valves on a beach in Baja California in the past. When I went in the
water sharks and skates were swimming between my legs, so I got out
after 30 minutes: but the sand yielded hundreds of bivalves a square
meter, never seen this elsewhere. It's sister species P. dione is
probably the same case: on one beach on Margarita Island I collected
once (out of 4 trips there) several hundred adults, none with spines.
The water on that place is not with any visibility, so no diving for
perfect ones possible. But I never found it elsewhere despite
screening several hundred places between Martinique and Margarita and
all along the coast up to Caracas.

Guido
The sun is coming up here but the cold is still there. The Mitrids
are great.