From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 15:23:54 -0600
> As for the name Marcus provided: Brotia costulata semilaevigata Annandale,
> 1921, I could find no evidence of either species-group name or a 1921 work
> by Annandale in Köhler and Glaubrecht (2003).

Brotia (Antimelania) costula (Rafinesque, 1833) variety semilaevigata
Nevill, recognized by Annandale, 1921, fide Subba Rao, 1989, Handbook:
Freshwater Molluscs of India, p. 108.   Several forms of costula
reportedly intergrade, and further investigation is recommended by
Subba Rao.  Date for the Nevill name not given, nor is it evident
which of the eight Annandale, 1921 references in the bibliography is
the right one. I'd guess 1921g. The aquatic and amphibious Mollusca of
Manipur. The Prosobranchia. Rec. Indian Mus. 22:538-564, pl. IV-VI.
However, 1920c. Materials for a generic revision of the freshwater
gastropod molluscs of the Indian Empire. No. 1. The Indian genera of
Melaniinae. Rec. Indian Mus. 19:107-110 might be worth a look, too.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections