From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2008 19:38:23 +1200
>Hi All,
>
>I am looking for the very largest specimen of Syrinx aruanus that I can get.
>I know that CONCH-L is not the place to ask for commercial purchases (;-)) ,
>so I am willing to trade for this shell if need be. Please contact
>me privately if
>you have a huge specimen quality shell for me. I could trade for
>Western Canadian
>shells, deepwater Western North American shells, Islandic, Philipino or South
>American shells, or anything else you might like (I have a large worldwide
>selection of trades).
>
>Regards,
>Peter Egerton

The biggest turbinellid of all...

Peter, I bought a 62cm specimen w/o from Hugh Morrison, Australian
Seashells (can't find his e-mail address). I had to put my name on a
waiting list for a biggie, but got one.

Of course at that size the upper spire whorls are always eaten away
by borers, not to mention the deciduous cylindrical early teleoconch
and protoconch... with those it would have been about 8cm longer.
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin