From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:58:19 -0500
While looking for articles on various species, I encountered the following:

CLAM-OROUS CROWS.-The following newspaper clipping, if true, shows
that the amiable, inoffensive clams of the Northwest coast are having
a hard time of it, and are entitled to the sympathy of all
conchologists without distinction of age, sex, or color:
        "Scare-crows are now placed upon slate roofs in Victoria, B. C. The
crows, which swarm on the beach and dig for clams, fly over the
buildings and drop the clams on the roof, by this means breaking the
shells and leaving the meat free to be eaten.  In many cases, when the
clams were dropped, the slate would be broken."
        Such conduct on the part of the crows is certainly discreditable;
they should be placed on the black-list.
Ill fare the clams to hungry crows a prey,
And brought to grief in such a crow-ill way.

Robert Stearns, 1904, Nautilus, 17(10):120.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections