From:
Deborah Duval <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2009 10:34:24 -0600
I agree, John.  Of course more territory could have been included, and more stringent regulations put in place, but in every facet of life there could be "more and better".  At least Bush finally did something!  And while it is true that no one willl take a boat out there for a day's fishing, every step mankind takes to awaken recognition and awareness of the masses who will never have the opportunity to see the some of the glory of this amazing Earth, is a step taken toward creating a reverance for far flung wonderous "monuments".

Debbie Duval
>>> John Varner <[log in to unmask]> 1/7/2009 9:18 AM >>>
Whoa!
Please take time to read the editorial before offering a knee jerk response based on your preconceptions of the NYT and those "radical environmentalists".
Choosing to preserve what remains of nature unsullied by human greed or negligence does not equate to radical environmentalism.  An increasing number of rational people are adopting the notion, common throughout most religions, that humankind is morally obligated to practice good environmental stewardship.  It is in our own best interests.  We owe it to the plants and animals we lord over.  We owe it to ourselves.  We owe it to our children and all the generations of children as yet unborn.