From:
mike gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2009 09:58:33 -0500
Markus Niiranen wrote:
> Dear Conch-lers,
> I'm planning a shelling trip to Florida.
> Does anyone know what are the best beaches for low tide collecting near
> Miami and Fort Lauderdale?

I expect that low tide collecting in this area will not be very
productive. (I do all my collecting on scuba)

> I read from the CONCH-L archives that some areas are protected in
> Florida and that I must have a Florida Saltwater Fishing License to
> collect live shells.
> Is it easy to obtain it as a foreigner?

This law is not enforced, and does not apply to low tide collecting. If
you will be snorkeling/diving/dredging the license is easily obtained at
any sporting goods store, at most WalMarts, and by phone (for an extra
charge) at 1-888-486-8356.

> How about dredging - is it banned or allowed in Florida?

Dredging is not banned except in turtle grass and on reefs.