From:
David Lum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 2009 22:16:45 -1000
Gary,

     I live in Hawaii, which has high humidity, hot days, cool nights, and a
lot of salt in the air almost year round.  All of these factors are reported
to contribute to Byne's disease and other maladies resulting in the
dissolution of seashell material, yet I've never had a problem.  I may just
be lucky, but I think the real reason is that by keeping my specimens in
metal, glass, and plastic containers and cabinets, I keep them away from the
key factor of acidic fumes coming from wood and wood products like
cardboard.

     I have seen a few collections in Hawaii where the collector had kept
his shells in hardwood cabinets, with very bad results.  In cases where
ventilation was poor, the entire surface of a shell can be covered with
Byne's crystals.  Even in cases where ventilation was available, the parts
of shells in contact with the wood were severely damaged, while all other
parts of the specimens were left in a relatively pristine condition.

     Besides wood and cardboard, another thing to look out for to avoid
Byne's is any old and discolored foam inserts you may be using.  It seems
like the blue foam sold in recent years do not break down, but any of the
old stuff is quite bad.

     I hope this helps.

Aloha,
Dave