From:
Umit Kebapçý <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 2009 20:17:16 +0200
There are few details in Erica's info.

First is the visible umbilicus of the shell. Before becoming sexually
mature, Hygromiid and Helicid snails develop a lip (so they cant grow
anymore). Closing of umbilicus via callus may be a slightly prologned
stage. In some cases, possibly linked with parasitism, passing to
adulthood will not be undersood with shell characters, eg. since
mating will be possible in pre-adult morphology and/or size.

So there is a possibility that the Theba snail was not -at least-
fully mature, to lay eggs. Since it could mate, according to the
observations, then an early maturation scenario can be discussed.

As far as I see the offsprings belong to Otala with their uniform
teleoconch coloration (eg not contrasting with protoconch, or larval
shell) and higher protoconch whorl count. It is already mentioned that
Otala snails laid eggs.

Is the cross-breeding possible? Unlikely I should say. They are not
closely related, plus they already sympatric in many natural habitats
(and no records of bustard is known, at least to me). Although Helicid
genera like Iberus tend to be variable by nature, hypothethical
hybrids shouldnt be out of sight.

The radiation of Theba is higher in W Morocco and Canaries, while
radiation of Otala is in Mediteranean facing parts of Maghreb and
Iberia. So they diversified separately.

Cross-mating report is still interesting. This makes me think of the
similarity in courtship mechanisms of these not so closely related
species.

Ümit KEBAPÇI, PhD

Kota Phil Liff-Grieff <[log in to unmask]>