From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 2010 14:24:40 -0600
> Shalom Kay,
> The Hebrew word, which 'onycha' is a translation of is 'shehelet'
> שחלת
> In the regular Hebrew dictionary, the meaning of the word is given as the
> spice 'cloves'. However, in the Bible Language Dictionary, I find the
> meaning to be given as a species of mollusc 'Ungusis odoratus', which seems
> to be a misspelling of 'Unguis odoratus'. But is this a mollusc species (as
> in Wikipedia), or a term used for a sweet smelling hoof, claw or operculum?
> Sincerely, Moshe Erlendur

If it is actually a mollusk connection, and not a mistranslation for
cloves or something else, it would be the operculum.  I don't know if
a particular species was used-I wouldn't expect corneous opercula from
different taxa to smell all that different when burnt and would think
that any large gastropod would do, but I haven't tried burning them
myself.  The etymological link to claw suggests strombids.
Nomenclator Zoologicus doesn't list Unguis as an animal genus.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections