From:
Dan Teven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2010 10:11:58 -0400
I'm sorry I missed that roundtable!  I simply don't believe that you need a
full-time
shell dealer for an appraisal.

As far as I know, there are no longer any full-time shell dealers in
Massachusetts, and
it seems unlikely that a local donor or insurance buyer could be required to
bring one
in from out of state.

Any authority who is good at identifications and familiar with the market
ought to be
able to give such an appraisal, unless the shells are very rare or
exceptional.  As a
long-time collector, I've bought shells and shell collections from many
sources, I've
sold and traded shells, and I've appraised small donations to the Boston Mal
Club.
I don't see why the latter requires any special skills.

So it probably depends on how much insurance you're buying.  If the value of
your
collection is less than $5,000, anyone who has a copy of Rice's Prices and
is not
afraid to use it ought to be able to appraise the shells.

Dan Teven