From:
Jim Brunner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2010 17:29:48 -0500
To all,

We have just finished a year long ordeal of disposing of a collection
of a departed friend.  I can certainly emphasize with the problems
you've surfaced.  The family had tossed the detailed logs that were
kept on the shells and although vestiges were on a computer, fixing
data to shell was agony.  Tip here:  We use a Filemaker Pro database
with a field for dimensions; careful measurement becomes a good
"fingerprint" for a shell that has lost its label/number.  We were
able to realize about $10,000 for a $30-35,000 collection.  One thing
we did was invite our club over for a 60% off sale which went well.  I
would think this would work really well in sheller rich central/south
Florida.  40% is well above what dealers will offer.

Jim Brunner