From:
Emilio F Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:31:07 -0600
Dear Harry,

The "southern form" shown by Marcus is not restricted to that area of Brazil. I have "slim" specimens from the offshore islands of Central America. Although most of the specimens I have seen represent rather young shells, I have a 12" specimen from the island of Guanaja, Islas de la Bahía, Honduras that perfectly fits the bill.

By the way, I have three records of Charonia variegata from off Louisiana. They were collected in 1971, 2001 and 2010 so they are not really jumping in the dredge. The three specimens are empty baby shells (about 2").

Emilio