From:
"Batt, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2011 21:20:38 -0500
I've enjoyed this thread on Smaragdia, especially since I finally got to collect my own specimens in the Florida Keys last December.

As a paleontologist I see no problem with the possibility of separate species in 5 my, especially since we already have what are considered cognate species of mollusks (conchs, murex, etc) on either side of the Central America landbridge that formed between 3 and 4 million years ago.

But I am a bit dubious about the "biological definition of a species" in light of recent records of hybrids between closely related species (even the so-called "Darwin's finches") interbreeding to produce viable offspring that could in turn become new species.  Maybe that's how we got Lambis arachnoides (aka L. wheelwrighti)?

Rick Batt
North Tonawanda, NY

Is the door then still open just a crack for the possibility of two species separated by 5 million years?

When I was a kid, the answer could have been determined by simply dropping specimens from the respective populations in an aquarium and seeing if they breed. That definition wouldn't pass muster any more, I guess.

David Kirsh
Durham, NC