From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2011 15:56:38 -0500
While examining shell hash from New South Wales that Patty Jansen sent me years ago, I found a small (9mm) valve that has the unmistakable likeness to Pitar dione. It's got purplish concentric ridges against a white background and two radial rows of spiny processes.

I've got the two volumes of Bivalves of Australia and there's no clue of such a cognate. (I'm familiar with Pitar lupanaria from the eastern Pacific.)

Is this an introduced species?

David Kirsh
Durham, NC

"It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction.
 Fiction has to make sense." - Mark Twain