From:
Tom Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2011 16:04:10 +0700
Jim,

In some 40 years of collecting along the Panamic Province coastline I was
never able to collect Cymatium tigrinum. A friend obtained two fine
specimens in Bahia Chamela, Jalisco, Mexico. She found them in the discard
pile at a seaside restaurant - fishermen had brought them in along with
the usual muricids to be used as food. Over the years I stopped at that
restaurant many times, hoping to find C. tigrinum, without success. I did
obtain a specimen from a collector in Panama.

Quite a few years ago specimens were sold for $75 to $100 (as listed in
the final edition - 23rd, 2007 and still available, of my A Catalog of
Dealers' Prices for Shells ...). But I was unable to find it for sale
during the intervening decades.

Best regards
Tom Rice
Rawai Beach, Phuket, Thailand