From:
"Douglas A. Wolfe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 12:51:22 +0000
Gary:
I plan to attend the Philly show, the Vermeij lecture, and the reception on
Saturday, november 8.
This constitutes my RSVP.  I will pay my  $35  upon arrival early saturday
afternoon.  Let me know if anything else is required.  Thanks very much.
Doug  Wolfe:   109 Shore Drive/Shell Landing, Beaufort, NC 28516
[252-728-3501]
----------
> From: Gary Rosenberg <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Philadelphia Shell Show, November 7-8
> Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 16:31:55 -0400
>
>Mark your calendars for the 1998 Philadelphia Shell Show, organized by the
>Philadelphia Shell Club, at the Academy of Natural Sciences, November 7-8,
>10 am to 5 pm.
>
>The show is the largest in the northeastern United States, with dealers and
>exhibitors from all over the US. This year we are taking over the first
>floor of the museum, so we have more room than ever before.
>
>Saturday night of the show will feature a special lecture by Dr. Geerat
>Vermeij, the famous evolutionary biologist, author of The Natural History
of
>Shells and of Privileged Hands, his fascinating autobiography. Dr. Vermeij
>will speak on "A History of Housing: Reconstructing the past through the
art
>and science of seashells".
>
>The lecture (Saturday 5:30 pm) and the following reception is $35 per
person
>($15 for lecture only) [RSVP to me]. Admission to the shell show is
included
>in the price of the lecture. Otherwise, admission to the show is $8.50 per
>person, which is the price of admission to the Academy's natural history
museum.

>Lecture, reception, and shell show are complimentary to members of the
>Philadelphia Shell Club, dealers, exhibitors and their spouses. It's not
too
>late to enter an exhibit in the show, if you want to take advantage of the
>freebies for exhibitors. Contact me for information.
>
>At the show we will be kicking off a million dollar endowment campaign for
>malacology, as part of a larger campaign for biodiversity research and
>collections at the Academy. This funding will helps us establish and
>maintain initiatives for
>
>A Global Encyclopedia of Mollusks on the Internet
>A Center for Freshwater and Medical Malacology
>Expeditions in areas of the world most threatened by habitat destruction.
>
>This year's show promises to be a real celebration. I hope that all of you
>will plan to be there. I promise all conch-l members attending our show for
>the first time a behind-the-scenes tour of our collection (12 million
>specimens strong), and a free copy of my book, The Encylopedia of
Seashells.