From:
"Batt, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:30:00 -0400
As a professor in institutions of higher education for more than 25 years I can say that announcements of scholarships/grants are not advertisements at all.  They are announcements of potential funding opportunities to facilitate research to be done.  Research is one of the things that COA and other organizations need to promote, as this is one of the things that lends on-going science credibility to our passions and furthers our understanding about what we're in these groups for.  Announcements of available grant/scholarship opportunities, and announcement of winners, are definitely not advertisements - they aren't aimed at making money for the individuals doing the announcements.  Come to think of it, announcements of spaces available on shelling trips, something that several members of COA and other clubs could very well like to participate in but might not know about otherwise, don't necessarily count as advertising, as long as the money from these trips aren't for personal gain, but is used for the making available and running of the trips which will benefit members.  In this case, they are merely mention of opportunities for members to pursue their passions that they might not know about otherwise.  Anyways, my 2 cents worth (with a couple money cowries thrown in).
Rick