From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2012 13:18:50 -0500
I'm working on writing tests and study guides right now, hence
multiple items coming to mind serially...

Some of the diseases that have plagued Crassostrea virginica were
apparently introduced through attempts at introducing or aquaculture
of other oyster species.  More generally, efforts to introduce
non-native oysters to various parts of the world have generally
transmitted a number of invasive species, some directly harmful to the
native oysters, and resulted in the discovery that the native species
tastes better than the one that was being brought in to "improve" the
fishery.

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Doug Stemke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hello All.
>
> I was asked, in very short order, to develop an undergraduate topics course
> that looks at infectious diseases in plant and/or animal communities that
> have an underlying human cause.  I want to develop as many of these topics
> as I can and find research papers that we can discuss in class.  For example
> one topic I have been  thinking about include the introduction of Chestnut
> Blight into North America and its impact on the American Chestnut and
> associated ecosystems. Part of what we would like to do is evaluate disease
> impact and investigate the known or suspected human  evaluating both the
> claim and the impact of the disease.
>
> I been thinking about marine systems as well.  A couple that I have thought
> about include, potentially Abalone Withering Syndrome and Coral diseases
> provided I can find papers on both the disease and the suspected link to
> human activity.
>
> So I ask A) If you know of any such papers (especially on Abalone Disease)
> I would greatly appreciate references that I can chase down and B) If you
> have any other suggested topics that I can pursue.  If you are aware of
> diseases that are the result of intentional or accidental release,
> acidification or other forms of pollution, or suspected connections to
> global warming I would indeed be very grateful.  I have a few other topics
> including distemper in wild animals, frog declines linked to fungal
> infections with suspected human links, a few other fungal infections linked
> to plant communities,  Malarial infections in birds (Hawaii), and a half
> dozen other topics.
>
> I've always appreciated the leads I've gotten from this group. Any
> suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Doug Stemke

> click leave the list.

Dr. David Campbell