From:
Fred Schueler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2013 12:14:43 -0400
On 9/10/2013 11:44 AM, David Kirsh wrote:
> My own particular solution to this issue is to simplify: Nowadays, I leave out the date and only use the month and year. Therefore, "2/13" means February 2013, e.g. I don't see how the exact day of the month makes much difference to collecting data...unless there is some large catastrophe for that locality which could be notated in long-hand with the date.

* just having come back from recording the first road-killed Cepaea
nemoralis I've seen for a while (start & finish times, date,
temperature, cloud cover, wind, and wetness of the pavement), I suggest
that something as easy to add as the day of collection can be really
important for an analysis that involves correlating a collection with
weather conditions, or analysis of growth or habitat. And remember that
malacological historians may line up your specimens to document your
movements if you've collected something problematic, and this would be
very hard if you've only recorded the month.

A lot of what we record about specimens is recorded in anticipation of
future analyses that will ask questions we haven't thought of at all, so
if recording something is easy, record it for the sake of those making
unanticipated use of your material. It's easiest to think of this in
terms of geographic precision - you may only be interested in
documenting a county record of a species, but if you record the location
to within a few metres, then someone can use your record for ecological
studies, or to go back decades later and collect descendents of your sample.

> David Kirsh
> Durham, NC

          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad