From:
"William M. Frank" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 22:28:08 -0500
As a frequent visitor to Cedar Key I have seen the same thing.  About
four years ago our club observed a couple collecting every Busycon
sinistrum in sight and putting them in the trunk of their car.  Their car
was certainly loaded down and the local B. sinistrum (AKA B. contrarium)
population was decimated. We can only assume that they were selling them
to shell stores where they would be used for craft or tourist items - not an
uncommon ending for this species.

If you have been to Cedar Key recently, you have probably noticed that some
of the
formerly common species (B. sinistrum among others) are are not as
common as they formerly were.

Shell collectors (scientific and otherwise) can certainly have an effect on
local
populations - in the short term.  I am sure that the species would rebound
over
time - but still  - how many years would it take?  These guys are "crawl
away."

Bill Frank
1865 Debutante Dr.
Jacksonville, FL 32246-8645
Phone/FAX: (904) 724-5326
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm