From:
Stephanie Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2014 02:10:38 -0500
I see this discussion has split into two threads one organising the
specimens and the other a database of some sort.

The original question if I read it correctly dealt more with organising
the actual specimens. I think the best way to organise the specimens is
to do it by family, then genus alphabetically and then species
alphabetically within each genus. Then depending on how many
lots/specimens you have of each species/subspecies I would suggest
organising them geographically by say country then by state if you have
a lot and then by county or other smaller geopolitical unit if you have
a very large number of specimens from one country say the US. Another
thing that can help at a glance is to colour code the labels you
generate for your collection for example you could colour the labels
according to the ocean basin they occur in, so a species with an
Indo-Pacific range (say Mauritius to Fiji), any specimens from the
Indian Ocean basin might get labels printed on blue paper and those from
the Pacific Ocean basin say on white paper. So if you know a particular
species has an Indo-Pacific range you will be able to see at a glance if
you have specimens from across the whole range or from one area and not
the other. This system works best if you have your specimens housed in
such as way, say boxes and glass tubes, where you can easily see both
the specimens and some or all of the label, like typically seen in
museum collections.

Now using the database like other people have suggested with additional
fields such as for county, state, country, ocean and so forth as well as
family, genus, subgenus, species, subspecies etc will allow you to
search for all sorts of combinations to your hearts content.

Stephanie

--
Dr Stephanie A. Clark

Director