From:
Martin Eastburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jul 2015 19:24:55 -0500
I'll tell of my story - when reefing on Kwaj the rule was if a native
picked up anything it was theirs.
Not that we were concerned.  Then on day someone was walking home
instead of using the boat.
He bent over and brought up a fist size Golden Cowrie cracked it in two
with his belt knife and slurp
down lunch. He kept going and with sick hearts we did also.  We didn't
have one at that time.  Mom
kept the shell halves until she brought in a matcher!   Tales of the
60's.   Martin