From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 09:52:37 -0500
I apologize.  I had forgotten about the native animal and household pet
deaths and sicknesses caused by trying to eat the toads.  I grew up the son
of a herpetologist so I tend to empathize more with the hairless creatures
of the world.  Patty is absolutely correct. She may also be correct about
their place of origin. I'll check into it and if I'm wrong I apologize for
that also. However, I must say, although I have handled literally hundreds
of Bufo marinus, I have never observed them squirting bufoninine from the
glands on their back.  This seems like an anecdote that should not be
continued.  They are not spitting cobras.  If they are stroked the toxin
will ooze, but not squirt unless pinched (which some idiots do to extract
it for smoking purposes, obviously people with way too much time on their
hands. They should collect shells (the obligatory shell reference)).  It
has never been necessary for me to rush to wash my hands, I've never
suffered from hallucinations after handling these adorable creatures.
Growing up as I did I take in stride the sometimes lack of decorum
exhibited by such creatures like poison toads and snakes. I should also say
that some of our local fauna have similar defense mechanisms, i.e. toads,
skinks, etc. and many pets have succumbed or fallen ill after chewing on a
native toad or the broken off tail of certain lizards.  These hazards are
not restricted to introduced species.  A survivor rarely partakes in that
little snack again, kind of like when I stuck a fork in the electrical
outlet.  Of course, that's the idea.  Again, I apologize.  But Patty, how
can you say they are ugly?  Have you ever just gazed into one's eyes . . .
.?  And, please, send me references of the scientific studies clearly
showing the displacement caused by these creatures.  No anecdotal stuff,
show me the money.  These are pests, no doubt, so is one's pet cat to the
local lizards, frogs, birds, etc. and, by the way, so are we.

Kurt