From:
Marlo Krisberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 20:32:57 -0800
You will receive replies in the 100,000 range.  However, these are not
authoritative.  As it just happens, I asked myself the same question about a
month ago and made a new years resolution to survey all the literature, create
a data base to prevent any double counts, and make a definitive count of all
published species.  I restricted my search to Gastropoda amd Pelycepoda.  I
eliminated all synonyms.  I included all unidentified species published as
"sp.," "sp. aff.," "cf.," etc. reported in marine and fresh water surveys.
However, I counted these only as one half to adjust for duplicate "sp's."  I
just finished about dinner time.  The count was 132,306.5.  Tomorow I leave
for a world wide tour to verify all material reposed in museums to be sure the
same shell species has not been given two names.  I should be back home by
Sunday at which time I'll provide an update.

I hope you find this data helpful.

Marlo
Florida